Pregnancy is a beautiful and life changing experience but as many women out there know, it can also come with its fair share of body aches and pains especially in the low back and hips. This is because as the body prepares for birth, it goes through big changes including a shift in our centre of gravity causing some postural changes, as well as the release of special hormones that allow our ligaments to become more relaxed for a safe birth. Unfortunately, these relaxing of the ligaments and shift in our posture can cause some problems like low back pain, pelvic and hip pain to name a few. Luckily there are many modalities of care that can help relieve these aches and pains, including chiropractic care.
The first question I often get asked is “is chiropractic safe for pregnant women?” and to answer that, yes, it is. Chiropractic care can be applied safely and effectively through all stages of pregnancy and post-partum.
Our aims with care are focused on helping the mum-to-be to help relieve tension from those aches and pains through safe and gentle treatment like:
- Massage: to release muscle and ligament tension
- Mobilisations: to help gently promote some movement
- low force chiropractic adjustments: to ease some pressure and restore some pain-free function.
- Diaphragm & stomach massage release: to help with reflux, breathing discomfort and rib pain; especially when those kicks start coming.
- Exercises: to help activate and stabilise the core and pelvic floor muscles to ensure good stability of the pelvis throughout pregnancy.
Chiropractic care during pregnancy can help mums-to-be experience less stress and strain on the joints and muscles and help keep to normal daily activities without too much discomfort. Our main goal is to help support the whole body to function at its most optimal during pregnancy, with reduced stress on the muscles, spine and pelvis.
If you would like to know more, have a few more questions regarding how we can help or would like to seek help with your pregnancy, please hit the contact us button and book in with Dr Olivia Klianis.